This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
VHB Metro DC, LLC is seeking a Urban Designer to join their growing Planning and Design Studio in our Washington, DC or Tysons, VA office. The successful candidate will provide a resume and short portfolio with work samples. Past and present clients in the Metro DC area include the District Department of Transportation, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, Virginia Railway Express, National Park Service, municipalities and private interests throughout the eastern US.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of planners, scientists, engineers, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About The Position
Urban Designer | Washington, DC
- Manage Projects for a variety of clients and project types including transit/transportation, TOD, corporate/commercial, institutional, hospitality, parks and recreation and various other types of public and private design efforts
- Develop concept-level plans, studies, and analysis in consultation with an interdisciplinary team
- Coordinates business planning, proposal development, and work planning with Studio Manager
- Engage in the management of stakeholder outreach, fostering strong project relationships with communities, stakeholders, and clients; and delivering/facilitating project presentations
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to research, analyze and design for complex urban landscapes
- Strong, creative graphics skills and ability to distill complex information into public-facing materials
- Proficient in ArcGIS and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with AutoCAD Civil 3D, 3D rendering software, and visualization applications
- Skills to implement the integrated services approach. Comprehensive understanding of design, details, and construction drawing preparation, including site layout, grading, hardscape, drainage, and planting.
- Experience with green initiative programs (LEED, SITES, etc.) and low-impact development
- BLA, BA in Urban Planning, or related degree; Master’s degree preferred
- 10 years of experience, with some project management experience
- Licensed (or in pursuit of license) Landscape Architect and/or AICP
- Excellent written, graphic and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills required to undertake multiple projects or facets of various projects.
- Comfortable in coordinating input from various organizations for public/private collaboration, including multi-discipline project efforts working with allied professionals such as architects, civil engineers, and planners
- Experience in developing and compiling/producing graphics supported reports
- Strong team collaboration skills
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Your application has been successfully submitted.