Social Performance Advisor - USA
Where you fit in?
If you are passionate about Shell’s performance and behavior in local communities and want Shell to improve its ability to manage Social Performance, as a member of the Social Performance Expert team this is your chance to leverage your experience to make a real impact in the USA.
Social Performance Advisor – USA
What is the role?
As the Social Performance Advisor - USA, you will support Social Performance delivery by inspiring people and unlocking leadership such that all staff are able to appropriately identify and manage social risks, impacts and opportunities in support of business outcomes and societal license to operate.
You will also be responsible of the following duties below.
- Social Performance Authority coverage (assurance) and delivery support (social risk and impact management, including proposing mitigation measures and opportunity realizations for impacts).
- Facilitate Social Performance integration into business, functional and reputation plans.
- Advise/Inform development and roll out of Social Performance and risk management requirements and processes.
- Support the Joint Assessment Review (Assurance) and ensure business and functional inputs are represented. Actively work towards achieving improvements where required.
- Work with Corporate Relations colleagues to gather and share good practices, stories, etc. from across the region, use tools for asset/site/project (specific screening tools for early screening of risk potential).
- Competence development of the business and Corporate Relations in country Social Performance skill pool, including tailoring and delivery of formal training.
- Support improvement of Social Performance networks in the USA.
- Contribute to Corporate Relations in country knowledge of critical risk areas (Indigenous Peoples, Cultural Heritage, Resettlement), related strategies/processes, and principal technical experts within Shell.
- Be the Indigenous Peoples focal point for the USA.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the USA on a full-time basis for anyone other than your current employer.
- Must have at least 7 (seven) years of working experience, partnering with business colleagues, and integrating Social Performance into business decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any related field is required, master’s degree is preferred.
- Extensive experience with Social Performance in operations and projects and business processes such as Opportunity Realization ,Hazards & Effects Management Process and Social Impact Assessment.
- Demonstrable experience across the spectrum of SP special risk areas, (e.g., local content, resettlement, cultural heritage), with particular focus on indigenous peoples.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity; ability to adapt own approach to suit different groups.
- Knowledge of social justice issues, environmental issues (environmental justice), and the energy transformation (commitments and future requirements), among others.
- Ability to identify and engage with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Commercial mindset and good knowledge of the business drivers and threats relevant to Shell’s USA businesses.
- Excellent collaboration skills and ability to work through and influence others to effect change.
The successful applicant will need to be a team player, who is able to work with others toward a common goal, in an open, transparent, and collaborative way.
- Learner Mindset – Be inclusive and foster the psychological safety for everyone to speak up.
- Grow trust in Shell – Build long term relationships, collaborate, and have influence with communities, partners, and external parties. Also, be humble, respectful, empathetic, and genuinely listen to discover what matters to others externally, visibly caring for our societal contribution.
- Live our values – Stand for honesty, integrity, and respect for people.
- Engage and Inspire – Engage widely and often, listening and testing for understanding at all levels.
- Corporate Relations leadership is committed to enable people to reach their full potential and maintain a good work-life balance. Flexible working includes, but is not limited to, part-time work, job share, and the occasional adjustment of start/stop times. We are keen to support flexible working arrangements, subject to local regulations and legislative frameworks. If this is of interest to you, please describe in your application the type of flexible working arrangements for which you would like to be considered (e.g., part-time, job share).
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space, where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.