Senior Environmental Planner
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
VHB is seeking a Senior Sustainability/Environmental Planner to join our Watertown, MA office. Our environmental planning team strives for a culture in which team members are excited about their work, supported professionally and personally, encouraged to be creative and innovative, and have opportunities to contribute to and learn about the diverse markets in which we work. Consistently named among the “Best Civil Engineering Firms to Work For” by CE News magazine, VHB is committed to providing a challenging, dynamic and rewarding work environment. Our staff enjoy opportunities to grow professionally and work on interesting projects.
VHB currently provides environmental services to municipalities, state departments of transportation, airports, energy clients, building developers, and other entities. VHB offers our clients technical analyses and short and long-term planning solutions to meet environmental regulatory requirements, identify and achieve sustainability goals, and to understand the effects of our built environment.
VHB is hiring a senior professional who has experience leading a team in preparing sustainability plans, climate action plans, municipal vulnerability preparedness assessments, sustainable energy management studies, greenhouse gas inventories, carbon sequestration studies, development reviews, federal and state-level environmental assessments, and/or other environmental studies for a diverse set of clients.
VHB’s overall environmental team provides a wide range of other integrated services such as urban planning, comprehensive master plans, solid waste management, air quality and noise studies, cultural resource consultation, community engagement, water conservation and water quality projects. We are looking for applicants that have a strong understanding of our full range of environmental services.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About The Position
Senior Environmental Planner | Watertown, MA
- Lead and support business development activities including; preparing scopes of work, fee estimates, and schedules
- Build relationships with clients, project managers, colleagues, and sub‑consultants
- Manage environmental projects
- Conduct technical analyses associated with sustainability, environmental planning, urban planning, and environmental reviews
- Review environmental studies and work prepared by others
- Prepare environmental reports and presentations
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings, public workshops and public hearings
- Provide quality assurance and control
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and existing network
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Capable of coordinating and performing multiple tasks
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills is desired
- Ability to travel in the future (with consideration of current COVID-related travel restrictions)
- BS/BA. in planning, environmental planning, environmental science, or a related field. M.S./M.A. degree a plus
- 5+ years of professional experience in environmental consulting or related field
- Envision Sustainability Professional, LEED, or WELL certification is desired
- Writing samples and references will be required
Please submit applications online.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Your application has been successfully submitted.