Sr Editor, Multi-Platform Content – National Geographic
The Senior Editor, Multi-Platform Content is responsible for delivering world-class editorial projects across the full spectrum of National Geographic’s core topic areas, from the planet’s ecosystems, geographies, and cultures to outer space. She/he/they is passionate about storytelling and story development and will commission and edit work from contributors to fulfill an extensive publishing calendar. As part of a group of editors, the Senior Editor will deliver stories—from short-form reported pieces to long-form literary features to complex multimedia content packages—on deadline to fulfill an extensive editorial calendar while bringing a forward-thinking editorial sensibility to our team.
- Commission, develop and edit pieces, with a focus on longform literary reportage and multi-component content packages, including franchises, working with internal partners and external contributors to conceptualize and create content in National Geographic’s core content areas.
- Ensure that pieces come together in a timely manner and adhere to word counts, factual accuracy, and other specs.
- Develop and adapt stories for all Nat Geo platforms including print, digital, social, and others.
- Develop, nurture, and maintain new and ongoing relationships with writers and industry professionals
- Report to Editorial Director Multi-Platform Features on project development and challenges, assist in feature management, including contracts, scheduling, production stages, and administrative tasks, as needed
- Minimum of 6 years of publishing experience that demonstrates increasing editorial responsibility with a large media organization(s), managing content at various levels.
- Outstanding editorial judgement, strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills and strong knowledge of the National Geographic brand and mission
- Ability to take overall responsibility for concept and content, as well as manage creative relationships.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, on deadline.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and resourceful, with the ability to work with minimal supervision, problem solve creatively, and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of people in highly matrixed conditions across numerous companies and with colleagues outside editorial, including communications and marketing, business support including sales, promotion, and development
- Proven track record in growing digital audiences and expanding audience demographics
- Curiosity about core Nat Geo topics and the ability to grasp new subject matter quickly.
- Understanding of the editorial process from conception to completion
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe products, Editorial CMS, digital media platforms; knowledge of AirTable is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree