Sustainability & ESG Services Market Leader
The Sustainability & ESG Services Market Leader (S&ES Market Leader) reports to the Sustainability & ESG Strategy & Services Leader and is primarily responsible for coordinating business development activities, vetting sales opportunities, and ensuring appropriate subject matter experts (SMEs) and industry experts are properly included in sustainability-related pursuits, working with the firm’s consulting practices in the Assurance and Advisory business lines to develop new and repositioned ESG services aligned with market demand. The S&ES Market Leader is also responsible for leading BDO’s Sustainability & ESG Services Strategy CLIMB team, overseeing 7 primary ESG services areas, and ensuring alignment with BDO’s internal corporate strategy. The S&ES Market Leader is also responsible for working with the firm’s consulting practices to develop go to market plans, working alongside SME’s and marketing professionals, and assisting ESG services area leaders bring their services to market in a strategic and effective manner. This is a key role in BDO’s commitment to help companies become more resilient, sustainable, manage risk, and assist them in communicating their path to sustainability with clarity.As a senior advisor in a consulting services firm, the candidate must demonstrate a strong executive presence and a proven track record of success in identifying services opportunities, bringing themto market and delivering them in a matrixed organization.
The S&ES Market Leader role involves working with BDO’s various consulting practices to drive revenues for Sustainability & ESG services as well as across the firm and industry sectors. This is a unique opportunity to be part of BDO’s Sustainability & ESG Services Center of Excellence (ESG COE) and help companies to drive impact and transformational value.
- Advises the Sustainability & ESG Strategy & Services Leader on market intelligence, opportunities, strategic partnerships, services repositioning, and other opportunities to grow and scale BDO’s sustainability services
- Works with the firm’s consulting practices to evolve and implement their sustainability services strategies, including:
- Go-to-market planning
- Approach/methodology for the delivery of sustainability-related services
- Quality control policies and procedures
- Development and oversight of focused targeting strategies
- US and global reporting standards, regulatory requirements
- Strategies/activities/actions of competitors
- Investor/lender expectations
- US advisory, reporting, attestation, and consulting landscape
- Middle market trends, demand shifts, hot spots, what’s next
- Demonstrates success working with cross-functional services teams in developing and selling consulting services and solutions, preferably integrating corporate and sustainability strategies to create value
- Builds communities of internal and external SMEs to provide a richer solution to clients’ issues; collaborates with partners across business lines to develop innovative solutions to our clients and prospects
- Assists teams in building client relationships and provides industry insight and experience in the domain of sustainability and corporate consulting
- Explores opportunities to scale businesses by building, buying, or partnering
- Serves as the Sustainability & ESG Services Market Leader for the Advisory practice
- Obtains regular updates from the firm’s advisory practice leaders on ESG pipelines, proposals, as well as new ESG services
- Actively participates in the execution of the firm’s ESG Eminence Strategy
- Actively engages in expanding sustainability knowledge, keeping current on:
- Reports consulting services goals, activities, and progress to the ESG Executive Leadership Team (ESG ELT) on a regular basis
- Leads ESG Services CLIMB team overseeing 7 Sustainability & ESG services areas working with the firm’s consulting practices and marketing teams to design, develop, and bring to market strategic, sustainability services aligned with market and client demand
- In conjunction with the ESG COE, explores, evaluates, and recommends technology/tools to the ESG ELT necessary to assist the business lines/practices to develop solutions to advance sophistication and gain market advantage
- Uses sustainability and consulting expertise to develop new client relationships and expand existing client relationships
- Navigates the complexities of cross-border and/or diverse teams and engagements
- Identifies gaps in the market and spots opportunities to create value propositions
- Initiates and leads open conversations with teams, clients, and stakeholders to build trust
- Upholds BDO’s code of ethics and business conduct and “People First” core competency, treating everyone with dignity and respect
- Other duties, as required
- Partners with business development specialists and SMEs when meeting with prospects and clients; continuously participates in business development efforts
- Identifies, grows, and maintains strategic relationships with client senior management
- Oversees the preparation of formal and informal presentations for client meetings
- Expands BDO’s presence in the marketplace, while building awareness internally to bring the best solutions to our clients and prospects
- Identifies new business opportunities to expand the practice and communicates such opportunities to their practice partner
- Oversees the development of draft proposals and reports, and completes research, as needed
- Leads teams to generate a vision, establish direction, and motivate members, creates an atmosphere of trust, leverages diverse views, and encourages continuous improvement and innovation
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, or Business Administration/Management, required
- Master’s degree with Sustainability/ESG qualifications, preferred
- Fifteen (15) or more years of sustainability, business process, transformation and performance improvement consulting experience, required
- Fifteen (15) or more years of services delivery, business development, or SME experience in professional services areas noted above, required
- Experience in leading executive meetings, coordination of multi-disciplinary pursuit teams, and driving business, required
- Experience working with a range of sectors, clients and industries, preferred
- Experience with US-based companies and reporting in accordance with international sustainability standards, preferred
- Business development experience in accounting, financial and operational consulting, business advisory services and/or technology consulting, preferred
- Relevant Sustainability certification(s), preferred
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, preferred
- Proficient in the use of Windows and Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Power BI, required
- Client relationship management (CRM) experience, required
- Microsoft Dynamics, preferred
Other Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong business acumen with an ability to understand and communicate BDO's business, services, and value proposition
- Knowledgeable in the development, management, and execution of sales and marketing processes including business development
- A well-developed pattern of achievement, competitive skills, energy, motivation, enthusiasm, and integrity
- planning, lead generation, pipeline management, account planning, sales strategy, and development
- Excellent people, project management, and organization skills
- Ability to be dedicated, resourceful, and willing to ‘roll-up one’s sleeves’; role requires hands-on effort
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage change thoughtfully and positively
- Ability to effectively handle ambiguous and unstructured problems and situations
- Confident in using visuals and visual support media effectively
- Skilled in public speaking, presenting, authoring whitepapers, articles, and other documents to contribute to BDO’s thought leadership and market prominence around ESG
Individual salaries that are offered to a candidate are determined after consideration of numerous factors including but not limited to the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and geography.
Range: $300,000 - $400,000
BDO delivers assurance, tax, digital technology solutions and financial advisory services to clients throughout the country and around the globe. We offer numerous industry-specific practices, world-class resources, and an unparalleled commitment to meeting our clients’ needs. We currently serve more than 400 publicly traded domestic and international clients.
- Unparalleled partner-involvement
- Deep industry knowledge and participation
- Geographic coverage across the U.S.
- Cohesive global network
- Focused capabilities across disciplines
BDO brings world-class resources and exceptional service to each and every one of our clients. BDO USA is a member of BDO International, the world’s fifth largest accounting network.
BDO offers a competitive Total Rewards package that encompass so much more than – “traditional benefits”. Our wide range of rewards and our employees’ ability to customize rewards to their individual needs are two of the reasons why BDO has been honored with so many workplace awards, including 100 Best Companies for Working Parents, Working Mother 100 Best Companies, Top Entry Level Employer, 2022 National Best & Brightest Companies to Work For and more.
Some Examples Of Our Total Rewards Offerings Include
- Competitive pay and eligibility for an annual performance bonus.
- A 401k plan plus an employer match
- Comprehensive, medical, dental, vision, FSA, and prescription insurance from day one
- Competitive Paid Time Off with daily accrual from day one of employment, plus paid holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Adoption Assistance
- Firm paid life insurance
- Wellness programs
- Additional offerings include BDO Flex, Group Legal insurance, Pet insurance and Long-Term Care Insurance
Above offerings may be subject to eligibility requirements.
Click here to find out more!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
"BDO USA, P.A. is an EO employer M/F/Veteran/Disability"
People Who Know, Know BDO. #GetToKnowBDO #TogetherWeThrive #Innovation