Senior Policy Advisor, Climate Justice
LOCATION: Washington DC or in any of the following states: VA, WV,MD,CT,PA,NY,MA,DE,NC,RI,VT,NH,ME
Climate Change & Energy Department; Other Departments in the Global Programs Division, including Aid Effectiveness, Extractive Industries, Humanitarian, and Gender Justice; other Oxfam America Divisions, including Policy and Advocacy (Government Affairs, Policy, and Campaigns teams) and Public Engagement; Oxfam International and other Oxfam Affiliates.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
This position is focused on promoting a pro-poor, justice-focused climate and energy agenda in the U.S. within the context of the Paris Agreement. The successful candidate will work with colleagues from across Oxfam America, as well as NGO allies, to enhance U.S. domestic climate ambition by advocating for the adoption of equitable climate policies and finance investments, empowering allies in the U.S. Congress and U.S. Government agencies and working with civil society partners to address the global climate crisis with intersectional, just solutions. This role includes significant work with the U.S. federal government; partnership with fellow civil society leaders on shared priorities; and work across Oxfam America and the Oxfam confederation coordinating policy advocacy, campaigning, and general promotion of climate action and solidarity.
· Engage in internal strategizing regarding U.S. federal actions and broader strategic planning for climate campaigning and advocacy.
· Collaborate with other members of the Climate Department to help advance Oxfam’s climate advocacy and policy activities.
· Work with Executive branch, Congressional, and civil society allies to promote a climate justice agenda and secure favorable climate-related outcomes at the federal level based on Oxfam’s climate priorities, including climate finance (including, where appropriate, through direct lobbying).
· Support other Departments at Oxfam to contribute to federal-level campaign and policy advocacy for Oxfam America’s broader suite of influencing activities and facilitate robust and sustained cross-team collaborations at Oxfam.
· Support the integration of gender and racial justice, inequality, and decolonial priorities and approaches throughout Oxfam’s climate advocacy efforts.
· Promote and normalize Oxfam’s pro-poor, equity-focused approach to climate diplomacy and development work. As agreed, represent Oxfam America at climate-related cross- sector coordinating bodies like USCAN, InterAction, etc.
· In collaboration with internal stakeholders, interface with U.S. government stakeholders to maintain open lines of communication regarding administration actions regarding Oxfam’s priority climate issues.
· Represent Oxfam America’s climate priorities in both internal deliberations and well as external-facing opportunities.
· Coordinate with Oxfam confederation colleagues (country offices and affiliates) and their strategic partners in advancing climate priorities, particularly related to major international events.
· Develop positive working relationships with Oxfam’s allies and partners around Oxfam’s climate chane and energy goals and priorities
Master’s degree in environmental policy, international relations, public policy, environmental science, or related field, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
· 5-7 years working in climate change and energy policy.
· Relevant and substantial experience working in or with government and considerable understanding of domestic energy and climate policy issues.
· Deep understanding of the U.S. Congress, including the appropriations process.
· Understanding of and experience with the Paris Agreement on climate change and related diplomatic processes is desirable but not essential.
· Outstanding research and analytical skills relevant to public policy.
· Outstanding attention to detail.
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills; ability to prioritize workload and multi- task.
· Excellent oral communication skills and strong professional writing skills.
· Experience in integrating gender and racial justice, inequality, and decolonial approaches in advocacy.
Flexible, creative, and strategic thinker; self-starter
Your application has been successfully submitted.