Senior Advisor - Climate Change & Sustainability
About the job
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic climate change and sustainability professional to join our Community Wellbeing team.
You will act as Council's ‘Climate Change Champion' - leading the implementation of our newly adopted Climate Change Strategy and advocating for Whanganui's interests across local, regional and national channels.
This role would suit someone who is already operating at the senior level, or an intermediate advisor who is ready for the next challenge and is keen for a lifestyle change (no more traffic jams or unaffordable housing! Get a dog and enjoy the lower cost of living!).
Now is the perfect time to consider a change in roles or cities - Whanganui is growing, has a vibrant creative community and a strong sense of where it is heading. You will have a role to play in this exciting shift, while reaping the benefits of a district that is full of personality and potential. This includes a beautiful coast, outstanding schools, easy accessibility to Wellington and Auckland, all the facilities you need, and a rich arts and cultural scene (including live music and great places to eat!).
To thrive in this role you will need to have an excellent technical understanding of climate change science and a track record of providing robust advice. This should be supported by top rate research skills as well as experience with managing projects, strategy delivery and stakeholder relationships.
This is a new and exciting role with a diverse array of projects under the sustainability banner. This includes opportunity to work flexibly and identify new initiatives and approaches within our organisation. As a result, we want someone who is innovative, positive, motivated and has a commitment to our Leading Edge aspirations.
To be successful in this role, you'll be someone who has:\
- Experience leading a range of complex climate change and sustainability projects and working across teams to influence a number of activities in this space;
- Strong stakeholder relationship building, influencing and engagement skills to gain the cooperation and commitment of others;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to present information and ideas effectively and engagingly;
- Proven project management skills to deliver work within specified timeframes;
- Strong skills in research - including the ability to distil complex ideas and explain these clearly to a wide range of audiences;
- In addition, excellent attention to detail is a must.
Our Leading Edge Strategy reflects Whanganui's unique attributes and clearly sets out our future aspirations. The role of Senior Advisor - Climate Change & Sustainability will be directly involved in contributing to these goals in creative and empowering ways alongside our diverse and welcoming community.
Enquires about this role can be made to Lauren Tamehana, Community Wellbeing Manager on 06 349 3104.
Applications close on 20 June 2021
Interviews will likely be held during the week of 5 July 2021
To apply for this job go to: https://whanganuidc.recruitmenthub.co.nz/Vacancies & enter ref code: 5518718.
Your application has been successfully submitted.